25.1.10

Winter in Deyu



Hello.



During the last two weeks winter has certainly arrived in Deyu Onsen. After a bright start, we had a wet and windy day which over night the rain turned to snow. It then constantly snowed for the next 48 hours or so, finally stopping on Sat 16th Jan. With plans disrupted the only thing to do was build a snow bear.



Whilst it was obvious that driving was hazardous, the snow enhanced the beauty of the Deyu area.An added bonus was the number of birds that were seen in the garden searching for food. One morning two Japanese White-Eyes, a Hawfinch, Rustic Bunting, and Narcissus Flycatcher was all seen within a few minutes.

Staying with our feathered friends, a visit to the Swan Lake was well worth a visit, with many swans and duck present. Even more impressive were the 50+ Black Kite lurking in the surrounding trees. For those interested in birds, the Deyu area has a rich variety.

Finally I would like to mention the New Year tea ceremony that I was kindly invited to in Gozen, about 30 minutes away. It was an interesting and very enjoyable time and I would like to thank all involved.

I guess by now that you have realised that the style of writing is different this time. Thats because I'm a guest writer from Colchester, England, and have just spent the two weeks mentioned in Deyu. And I'm guessing that if you are reading the English version of Deyu Onsen Spa Tales, you are probably not Japanese. So may I suggest that if you enjoy the tales written by Noriko, then go and enjoy Deyu for yourselves. I can assure you a very warm welcome.